The People Who Shaped Poplar Heights Farm
In 1856, when land could first be actually titled in Bates County, Missouri, Anthony S. Walker, from Cooper County, Missouri was the first to buy the land that would become Poplar Heights Farm.
Anthony Walker died during the Civil War and the property passed to his son, John Read Walker. John Walker left Yale University and moved to Summit Township in Bates County where he built the main house, the threshing barn and smoke house and began farming.
After a single term as state representative from Bates County, John Walker left and sold the farm to his brother-in-law, John L. Hickman. Hickman began an orchard, but he too soon left. On October 17, 1884, Hickman finalized the sale of the farm to Adam Seelinger.
Adam Seelinger passed the farm to his son, John Seelinger. John and his wife, Agnes Johannes, named the property "Poplar Heights Farm" and began extensive farming operations. John Seelinger planted the cedar tree colonnade leading up to the Main House. He added the Broom Corn Barn and dug the first of several ponds. John and Agnes raised a family of five children: Adam, Daisy, Maude, Bertha and Ruth.
Read their biographies by clicking on the name